Now, more than ever, sustainability is of the utmost importance. Our planet faces an environmental crisis. The rising temperatures in the UK are sound evidence of climate change, and businesses and individuals must play their part to reduce CO2 emissions, which are one of the main causes of global warming.
But how can the flooring industry contribute towards this goal?
Roger Hyde Limited are operating to provide a sustainable service, the manufacturers we work with are also being sustainable; and in turn helping businesses and individuals who are purchasing wood flooring understand how they too are being sustainable, and maybe achieving their sustainability goals.
We proactively work with manufacturers who are FSC® and PEFC™ accredited.
The Forest Stewardship Commission, (FSC), is an international, non-governmental organisation that encourages responsible forestry; and the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification, (PEFC), supports national forest certification systems to promote sustainable forest management.
What is Sustainability?
The United Nations defines sustainability as a series of actions to meet the needs of the present “without affecting the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.”
The NBS (Network for Business Sustainability), states in its Sustainable Futures Report 2022 that sustainability is also “the ability to sustain a comfortable human life without compromising the environment.”
How wood flooring companies can contribute to Sustainable
Wood Flooring manufacturers and installers should commit to environment-friendly systems and contribute to the creation of sustainable buildings and sustainably built environments.
In line with the UN Sustainable Development Goals, the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) has established sustainable outcomes to be delivered on building projects. Some of the RIBA sustainable outcomes are:
● Net zero operational carbon
● Net zero embodied carbon
● Sustainable lifecycle cost
Attaining these results contributes to the UN’s climate goal of reaching carbon neutrality by 2050 to counteract the temperature rise.
Roger Hyde Limited’s Sustainability
Our company is a member of the Contract Flooring Association (CFA), which has a leadership position in sustainable practices. In the Guide to Sustainability 2022-2023, the CFA stresses the importance of flooring companies contributing to a circular economy, which entails using:
● Products with the least environmental impact
● Products with high-performance properties and great durability
● Products with low VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) emissions
In addition, we use non-toxic, ecological, and biodegradable products and materials as much as possible, and also donate to two schemes run by the Carbon Footprint Company to aid us in offsetting our carbon footprint.
Dinesen, Pur Natur, Horning, Junckers, BOEN and Ted Todd.
How Roger Hyde Limited’s wood flooring solutions can help you achieve your sustainability goals
The services we deliver, and the wood floors provided by our recommended manufacturers can also help businesses and institutions, such as community centres, retail companies, schools, and restaurants, to have more sustainable buildings.
Wood flooring is aesthetically pleasing and sustainable.
We install hardwearing wood floors that can be maintained to last for decades. Therefore, you will not have to replace the flooring often, which saves energy and reduces your carbon footprint.
Upon completion of your bespoke high-quality, premium wood flooring installation, we offer a 12-month Workmanship Guarantee for your peace of mind and satisfaction knowing we are confident in our service and the materials we provide.
Also, as wood flooring experts, we can provide maintenance services and refurbishments and repairs.
Here are more benefits of choosing our wood flooring services:
● Wood is environmentally friendly and can be recycled at the end of life. By choosing wood flooring, you will minimise your contribution to the landfill.
● Hardwood flooring solutions have low embodied carbon, representing lower CO2 emissions throughout the lifecycle of your building.
● Trees are a renewable source. We work with wood providers and manufacturers with environmental credentials, ensuring that all timber is sourced from sustainably managed forests and are then replaced.
● We proactively support manufacturers who are proven to be sustainable
● We proudly offer reclaimed wood flooring to appropriate projects which are not only sustainable but give character and history too
● We try and promote ecological finishes to the wood that are safe to the environment, not only in application, but also in the manufacturing process as well
● We try to keep to minimum waste and reduce the amount of plastic and polyurethane we use
● We only use the appropriate materials in consideration with the environment
Moreover, our wood floors have low VOC emissions. Choosing these flooring solutions ensures the health, safety, and wellbeing of those around you. Thus, they make a great addition to any home or business.
Have you decided to start your tailored sustainable wood floor journey? We will be happy to discuss your sustainability goals and how we can ensure your wood flooring meets them; we are offering a FREE Site Visit and Consultation to review and discuss this in more detail with you with the provision of a no-obligation quotation.